Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the subdivision we moved into at one time had a HOA ,but…

Customer Question
In the subdivision we moved...
In the subdivision we moved into at one time had a HOA ,but the builder when under.and the HOA had stop for some time.when we signed for our home ,we do not sign up for a HOA we check the deed and contract we can't find anything states an HOA . After about three years an outside property Management company is trying to start up an HOA in our subdivision.we do have a common area in front ,the neighbors are keeping up.can this outside company make use pay for fees.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please review

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. So, unless you agreed to be subject o an HOA at some time in the future, you are not required in any way to participate in the HOA. Sometimes, deeds may say that if an HOA is to spring up at some time in the future, your property may be subject to the HOA.

If you deed said nothing like that, then there is nothing that can force you to be a part of the HOA at all and you won't be responsible for any common areas, dues, assessments, or other fees and restrictions.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Thanks,I recheck the deed.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer