Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am behind on my rent and the rental company won't accept…

Customer Question
I am behind on...

I am behind on my rent and the rental company won't accept partial payment. I have not received an eviction notice yet. The rental company has contacted my mom and my ex husband to tell them about the impending eviction. They are not on my lease and have nothing to do with my rent. Is there anything that I can do to stop the harrassment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing that I can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Do you have a lease?
Good. Landlord cannot evict. If landlord wrongly won’t take rent and files the court will dismiss and order landlord to take the rent.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if it was only a partial payment that was refused? What about the fact that they have contacted family members about this?
Correct. Contacting others about it violates the fair debt act and you could sue them for that violation.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They still have not given me an eviction notice. I just received a text that they want me out in 5 days and that they plan on doing a home inspection tomorrow between 11-12 whether I like it or not. What can I do?
Text is not notice so clock has not even started. It is improper notice.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can they still come into my home?
No, you have tenancy rights.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you in the state of Florida? I was put in touch with legal aid and they said that the text message can be considered notice and that they can come into my home to do an inspection. The sheriff's office said that they can't come into my home. I don't know what to do.
Notice has to be in writing and text is not enough unless lease says otherwise. While inspection is permitted it can only be done on 24 hour notice when suitable to you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is nothing in the lease about giving notice in a text. The lady from legal aid said that in Florida they only have to give 12 hours notice to come in to do repairs or inspect the property. My daughter is scared to have them in here, plus I have 2 dogs to be concerned with.
Courts will not accept text notice where not in the lease. You should allow inspection when suitable to you.
You may want to arrange to have it done when daughter and dogs are out for a walk for example.
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I tried to expedite your questions
Infolawyer, Lawyer