Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our HOA is rather special since we are an airpark community.

Customer Question
Our HOA is rather...

Our HOA is rather special since we are an airpark community. The covenants specifies no commercial businesses. But there have been 2 in the neighborhood for over 10 years, and the board has not stopped them. They are of concern since it raises our runway liablity. One business is okay with closing, the other says since previous boards have turned a blind eye, his is grandfathered in. He is threatening to sue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Does he have a legitimate argument?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not as yet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

The business could have a legitimate defense against an attempt to close it. That does not mean it would necessarily be able to defend successfully against a lawsuit to close it, but it does appear to have a legitimate defense.

I know this is not quite what you want to hear, but it is better for you to know so you can make a more informed decision.

Would you like to know the defense of which I speak?

P.S. Please don't kill the messenger here. I am only informing you of the possible defense!

Hello again:

Do you have further questions? I was going to review with you the business's potential defense. I know this is not the exact answer you would have hoped to have heard but it is better for you to know what is expected in this situation. If you are satisfied with the services I provided to you, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no additional charge to you so I can get paid for the services provided to you. Again, if you have a follow-up question or want to discuss further, just let me know. Best regards.