Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My Mother is 93 yrs old and she has an empty lot next to her…

Customer Question
My Mother is 93...

My Mother is 93 yrs old and she has an empty lot next to her home that she wanted to sell. The realtor found a buyer and now my mother wants to back out of selling it. Can she back out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't know. The realtor wants her to sign some other papers this weekend. The only thing she signed was an agreement of sale

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all for now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did your mother sign the sale contract? Is there any reason the buyer may be in breach?

Will the buyer agree to walk away and release your mother from further liability?

Are you online with me?

The only paper she signed was the agreement of sale, one signature and some initials in maybe 3- 4 spots

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, the contract controls and unless it contains a provision allowing your mother to terminate, or the buyer is in breach, if your mother refuses to close she will be liable for breach of contract.

Assuming the contract does not limit the buyer's remedies for seller breach, your mother would be fully liable for their money damages, as well as equitable relief, such as an order of specific performance.

Your mother should try to negotiate a settlement by asking the buyer what it would take for them to walk away.

She may also get pushback from the broker who will assert that they are entitled to a commission because they procured a ready, willing and able buyer for the property.

Tina, Lawyer