Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Several neighbors and I received damage on our property from…

Several neighbors and I received...
Several neighbors and I received damage on our property from a city water main break. My direct neighbor received immediate compensation, another house was purchased by the city but I have received no compensation on my damages.
Can a city pick and choose who they compensate on a particular issue?
Thanks
1/3/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The city has to compensate fairly and without discrimination. If it fails to do so, a lawyer letter can help prompt payment. That should avoid, although you retain the option, to sue the city to compel payment.

I tried to talk with the city, now they want to pursue this in court.
What claims could I file?
Thanks

You would file a claim for negligence and failure to compensate for damages in line with their practices.

The neighbors that received compensation are well off financially and the city purchased the Lawyers home

On filing a lawsuit especially with local counsel it should help bring about a settlement, especially given the apparent favoritism being practiced.

Infolawyer, Lawyer

I hope my answer is fast and acceptable.