Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Several neighbors and I received damage on our property from…

Several neighbors and I received...
Several neighbors and I received damage on our property from a city water main break. My direct neighbor received immediate compensation, another house was purchased by the city but I have received no compensation on my damages.
Can a city pick and choose who they compensate on a particular issue?
Thanks
1/3/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The city has to compensate fairly and without discrimination. If it fails to do so, a lawyer letter can help prompt payment. That should avoid, although you retain the option, to sue the city to compel payment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried to talk with the city, now they want to pursue this in court.
What claims could I file?
Thanks

You would file a claim for negligence and failure to compensate for damages in line with their practices.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The neighbors that received compensation are well off financially and the city purchased the Lawyers home

On filing a lawsuit especially with local counsel it should help bring about a settlement, especially given the apparent favoritism being practiced.

Infolawyer, Lawyer

I hope my answer is fast and acceptable.

Infolawyer, Lawyer