Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I need some help to resolve an environmental issue. New

Customer Question
I need some help...

I need some help to resolve an environmental issue. New neighbors built a house next to my 5 acres and spray their sewage water into the creek that then crosses my property. Government has been no help. Won't enforce state laws. E.coli is outrageous in this creek.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry. Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Made numerous reports to Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality. They investigated and said they weren't going to follow state statutes. They don't care if their sewage water gets in this creek. Nothing they can do about that. The law says otherwise.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Even though the government won't get involved, what you can do is sue your neighbors for creating a private nuisance that harms your enjoyment of your property. You can recover damages for what has already been done as well as getting a permanent injunction that forbids the neighbor from doing the dumping again. If they continue to do so, you can sue for more damages as well as seek a contempt of court order (which can result in jail time).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand I need to hire an attorney. The problem is finding an attorney in Oklahoma willing to take on this suit.
Some have said you can't make the state (Oklahoma) enforce laws they don't want to enforce. Isn't that one of the
reasons we would file a mandamus suit? I need help finding an attorney that will prosecute this in Oklahoma.
Can you help or send me to an attorney that can handle this in Oklahoma? I have this case well documented. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe I caught you at a bad time or you are unavailable right now. Understandable. You may also send me a reply
at my email address ***@******.*** or call me on(###) ###-#### I am desperate to get this resolved.
Tired of other peoples poop flowing across my land and the creek being too polluted for my family to play in. or even touch.

You wouldn't need to sue Oklahoma to enforce their laws. What you would be doing is bring a private civil lawsuit against your neighbor for them creating a nuisance on your property. This way, you can enforce your rights against your neighbor without having to involve Oklahoma (which would be a much more difficult case).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that. Sorry for the confusion. Still my problem is finding an attorney to handle the suit against my neighbor.
Seems no one wants to get involved in this suit. Maybe because there will not be a "big payday", just an hourly rate.
As simple as this suit sounds, that is the problem. Final question. Can you help find an attorney to handle this suit?

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend specific attorneys from this website. You might have better luck searching a website like avvo.com for an attorney in your area.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer