Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a freehold title on a time-share providing two weeks…

Customer Question
I have a freehold title...
I have a freehold title on a time-share providing two weeks of vacation in Oahu at any time. The annual fees are due - some #2K. (January 2018). Current market rates for the location and rentals are just about the same. There are no loans or charges against this asset, the fees are up to date until now - and it is not used for collateral elsewhere.I also am a Canadian and live in Canada--- I have no other assets or interests in the USA or it's territory. There is a 10% late fee and a 12% interest fee as long as the assessment is not paid.Can I quit claim this- the title would revert to the Condo organization and I would assume they would sell it to someone else.Just getting too old to travel and when I got this I did all the legal work but it’s just too fussy from Canada to try and sell it myself --- and I want it off my plate not being sold by an on Line condo reseller that will likely take me to town on their operating fees by dragging out a saleRS
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

I would contact timeshare and ask about a deed in lieu.This is similar to quitclaim but they agree not to pursue you.Otherwise you may just decide to let it go back to them.But deed in lieu is better for you because they waive right to sue for deficiency here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference to deed in lieu..

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/foreclosure/deficiency-laws-in-hawaii.html

If you let this go back it is unlikely they pursue you here.

Ray, Lawyer