Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I have to return a tenant deposit. Additionally the…

Customer Question
How long do I...

How long do I have to return a tenant deposit

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Additionally the tenant gave a schedule for move out an missed it, an was unable to get people in to clean the townhouse up, some it ended up costing two months rent instead of one. So I deducted 15 days @ 45,00 a day or 675.00. Is there a problem here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Frederick, MD 21793

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The stated he was going to file because it was past 45 days, also the property manager said he should be charged another months rent because he went into the next month.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

You have 45 days from the move out date under Maryland law.

I think your calculations are correct. It is from the date of the actual move out not a proposed date. You are entitled to deduct your damages and unpaid rent.

Tenant wasn't paid within 45 days because of work going is there a penalty for me the landlord by not paying within 45 days?

Yes, possibly he could get 3x the security deposit and his attorney fees.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer