Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We live in NC. My wifes name is on our house deed because…

Customer Question
We live in NC...

We live in NC. My wifes name is on our house deed because she bought after we got married and was able to take advantage of first time home owner credit. I already owned a home from before we were married. My name is ***** ***** documents (mortgage etc.) but not on the deed. Does that effect anything if we choose to divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No divorce paper work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Does that effect anything if we choose to divorce?

.

No. If the house was purchased during the marriage, then it is a marital asset even though your name is ***** ***** the deed. So if there was a divorce, it would be a marital asset that would be divided up along with any other assets/debts that were acquired during the marriage.

.

.

thanks