Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If i own my house and put someone elses name on deed, i know…

Customer Question
If i own my...

If i own my house and put someone elses name on deed, i know they own half, if it goes up for auction, and get only brings 60.000, but the paid off is 40.000, that would leave 20.000, is the other party in tiled to half or all of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

N.c

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She put 60.000 to remodel some of house, but she has never paided one bill for 9 years, so she has really live here for free,

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

They are entitled to a pro rata amount in accordance with their ownership, unless you have some sort of agreement with them stating a contrary arrangement.

Did you have further questions?

if it goes to sell and only sells for 60.000 what happens after the 40.000 is paid off.

The check for the net proceeds is issued to the owners.

Are you still online with me?