Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How can the default judgment that I won against X be vacated…

Customer Question
How can the default judgment...
How can the default judgment that I won against X be vacated by another party Y who was not the defaulting party?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What is the basis that Y is saying that they can vacate it on behalf of X?

Hi I won a default judgment against X in Harris County District Court, Houston TX. About 2 months later Y filed motion to vacate my default judgement. How can the judge ruled in favor of a non defaulting party like Y?

Y would have to state the basis for which they could vacate the judgment of another party. They may have tried to intervene and join in but I am not sure the legal basis which they cited and used to vacate the judgment which was entered against someone else. Unless they were an attorney representing that party, the Judge should not have vacated the judgment. As you shared, they were not a party to the lawsuit and did not have standing so it should not have been done unless they had a legal basis. If they did, it would have been stated in the motion and you could have responded and objected to it.

Y did not have any basis to vacate. Y only argue that the judge was incorrect to grant my default judgement.
Then the response should have been that the motion to vacate should be denied as Y did not have standing or a legal basis to proceed as they were not a party to the lawsuit or joined in.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!