Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can I sue my alderman for representing out of town

Customer Question
Can I sue my...

Can I sue my alderman for representing out of town developers over his constituents?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet...but a huge zoning-obliterating Building has been approved narrowly by ONE vote by the city council

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

82 people signed up to speak (I believe 80 were anti) and were given 30 seconds to speak at the final meeting. Before that, the developers were given several meetings to present their case. The people against it were not allowed to finish their presentation. Variances amounting to 300% of allowable zoning limitations were requested and granted.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

No, a sitting elected official is statutorily immune from civil suit for how they vote in performance of their duty as an elected official. Many people do not like how their elected officials vote, but they cannot sue the elected official for it. If you believe their decision to grant the variances and zoning was contrary to the law, you can sue to get an injunction against the building and prove how them voting to approve violated some law and get the variance found to be illegal, but that would be your only legal recourse I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer