Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I moved out of my apartment and cleaned it. But during my…

Customer Question
I moved out of...

I moved out of my apartment and cleaned it. But during my move a water pipe was broken on the premises

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Naples, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. My landlord, and other tenants have driven over the same spot but unfortunately it broke during my move. There were no signs, chains restricting people from driving where we did. the landlord and other tenants have driven over the same spot.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I gave a notice and was told by the manager that my deposit would be returned.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what you specific legal question is?

.

.

thanks

I have been denied return of my $525 deposit.

Ok, I hate to say it, but if you damaged the landlord's property by breaking the line, then he can hold you liable for the cost of any repairs. You can demand to see documentation of what his costs were if you think that it was less than they are charging.

.

But he still would have to send you a written itemized invoice for any deductions from your deposit within 30 days of you moving out and returning any keys..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer