Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The HOA has raised violation fine from $100 to $500 for each…

Customer Question
The HOA has raised...

The HOA has raised violation fine from $100 to $500 for each violation. My adult son and his friends don't always follow the rules but since I am the owner I am responsible for what people do here. But can they raise it to $500? I recently was told I owe 2500 plus late fees. The violations only says Health and safety - trespassing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. I'm going to the board meeting in February

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There have been a lot of violations by my son and friends but it's only what the HOA says they never show proof

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The Bylaws control what the Board can and can't do so if the old violation fines were $100, as stated in the Bylaws, then they would have had to have put the matter to a vote of the members if they wanted to change the Bylaws to increase the penalties to $500.

.

If they did, then they can impose the fines if they have proof of a violation. If not, then they can't.

.

So your recourse here is to challenge any claims of violations and demand to see any proof that they have for them. If they can't prove that the fines are legitimate, then they can't impose them..

.

.

thanks