Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is grandfathering of property you have been taking care of…

Customer Question
Is grandfathering of property...

Is grandfathering of property you have been taking care of for 45 years legal

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our next door neighbor says 4 inches of our property belongs to him, he has come on our side of fence and dug a trench twice from lengh of our house to sidewalk, also took white paint and painted on grass where the 4 inches are.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

It is called "adverse possession" and under CA law he would also have to prove that in addition to using the property of another openly and against the rights of the owner, he was also paying taxes on the property. If he cannot prove that he was paying taxes on the property he was using or if you can prove you granted permission for him to use the property, he could not claim ownership by grandfathering or more legally called adverse possession.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.