Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can the HOA be sued for damages resulting in a rat

Customer Question
Can the HOA be...

Can the HOA be sued for damages resulting in a rat infestation in a single unit that spread to adjoining units?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Yes. An inspection report from an exterminator has been delivered to our cam. Nothing has been filed in a court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Perdido Key, FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The owners of the condo have started cleaning the infested unit, however the rats have spread to several adjoining units that will have to cancell vacation rentals due to the infestation.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Yes, if the HOA provides exterminating services to the units or if the HOA was aware of a rat infestation in that single unit and did not take steps to protect other residents due to the health and safety of the residents. You also have a claim against the unit owner.

Hope that helps. Please remember to accept the response and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer