Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How can I stop foreclosure on my sisters' house? Her house…

Customer Question
How can I stop...

How can I stop foreclosure on my sisters' house? Her house loan is serviced by seterus. I can not pay off loan today and foreclosure scheduled

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

House is in Lawrenceville. My sister died 08/22/2107. I came to lawrenceville to empty her house, etc. and tried to keep load paid but

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Explain

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will inherit the house if that matters. Have not moved to my name yet

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. How was the property titled? Was the property only in your sister's name or was it in her name and yours? If it was only in her name, you will need to hire a probate attorney to file a probate action so the house can be transferred to your sister's heirs (you). Once the probate action is filed, the personal representative of her estate (probably will be you) can enter the foreclosure action and defend it (seek a loan extension, modification of loan, stay of foreclosure, etc.) A Notice of Death should be filed in the foreclosure action so that the court knows that your sister died.

Hope that helps. Please remember to accept the response and post a positive rating.

I have filed her will and also filed for probate in County courthouse for Lawrenceville.
If I make some small payment to loan company Seterus would that stop foreclosure??

Great. Has a personal representative been appointed? If so, then you need to file papers in the foreclosure action.

No, a small payment will not stop the foreclosure. The default under the loan is probably non-payment and your sister's death (generally a default in the obligor dies). You will need to seek a modification or assumption of the loan (if the loan papers allow).

BTW -Generally the foreclosure action is stayed until the personal representative is substituted in the foreclosure action as the proper defendant.