Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My apartment has no water thesewage. My sewer is backed up…

Customer Question
My apartment has no...

My apartment has no water thesewage

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

My sewer is backed up in my apartment building and they shut the water off on Thursday, I was informed it will be off until Tuesday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well children in the apartment need clean water for hygiene purposes. one child has diabetes and needs to be clean to check his blood sugars

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

B​y law the landlord is required to provide you a habitable environment - and that includes water and no sewage. You may want to speak with the landlord to determine what accommodations he wants to make for you - and if he's completely unwilling to do that you may decide it's in your family's best interests to stay at a hotel and deduct the amount from your rent. But, you always want to try to work through it with the landlord first - so he can't later say he wasn't given an opportunity to fix the problem.

Their solution is to make a apartment available for all tenants affected.30 tenants . The apartment available is a vacant with running water, open access to all affected tenants. Separate building from occupied building, no sense of security,open door policy 24/7
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

T​hat is NOT a solution. That's the equivalent of showering at a bus station.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

I​f you don't feel that will be appropriate for your family, you can tell the landlord that and let them know what you intend to do instead. And if he has a problem with that he can then explain himself to the court.