Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My apartment has no water thesewage. My sewer is backed up…

Customer Question
My apartment has no...

My apartment has no water thesewage

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

My sewer is backed up in my apartment building and they shut the water off on Thursday, I was informed it will be off until Tuesday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well children in the apartment need clean water for hygiene purposes. one child has diabetes and needs to be clean to check his blood sugars

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago

B​y law the landlord is required to provide you a habitable environment - and that includes water and no sewage. You may want to speak with the landlord to determine what accommodations he wants to make for you - and if he's completely unwilling to do that you may decide it's in your family's best interests to stay at a hotel and deduct the amount from your rent. But, you always want to try to work through it with the landlord first - so he can't later say he wasn't given an opportunity to fix the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Their solution is to make a apartment available for all tenants affected.30 tenants . The apartment available is a vacant with running water, open access to all affected tenants. Separate building from occupied building, no sense of security,open door policy 24/7
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago

T​hat is NOT a solution. That's the equivalent of showering at a bus station.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago

I​f you don't feel that will be appropriate for your family, you can tell the landlord that and let them know what you intend to do instead. And if he has a problem with that he can then explain himself to the court.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent