Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a management company of a condominium building fine

Customer Question
Can a management company...

Can a management company of a condominium building fine owners for anything they feel the owners or their friends do that they feel wasn’t right.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

City of edmonton

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They just write a letter to us and show a picture of their security camera

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They say if we don’t pay they will take it out of our bank account where they take our condo fees. The thing they fined us for was a friend pulled a plant out of their planter in late sept. Fined us

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Thomas Swartz

Hello JACUSTOMER,

The management company would be able to fine you for any violations of the condo bylaws as long as the bylaws specifies that a fine can be imposed. In other words they cannot arbitrarily fine you for something they do not like. But if there is something in the condo's bylaws which authorizes the imposition of a fine for certain conduct, then they may impose the fine if that conduct occurred. I suspect that your bylaws contains some type of provision which authorizes a fine for the destruction of common elements or landscaping etc. I would check your bylaws to see if there is such a provision. The fact that the plant was pulled out by your friends does not matter that much. As the owner of the condo, you would be responsible for the conduct of your friends while they were on the property.

I hope this answers your question.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer