Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a friend receiving section 8 in Haledon NJ. She wants…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend receiving section 8 in Haledon NJ. She wants to move to Myrtle Beach SC. Can she transfer her section 8? Does SC have a PHA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Just in NJ where she is currently receiving section 8.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The move is scheduled for the end of 2018

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

While Section 8 is a federal program, it is administered by each state housing authority. So, this means that if she is leaving NJ to go to SC, she would have to apply all over again in SC and qualify in SC to get approved there and for them to find any available housing in the area where she is looking to move.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

This answer contradicts what I read online. I will contact the section 8 office in NJ

Thank you for your reply.

She has to still apply in SC, they control their own housing, so perhaps you misunderstood what you read, but when she gets to SC, she has to reapply for the Section 8 housing there and they have to find available housing for her. If she qualified in NJ, she will likely still qualify in SC, but she needs to reapply as they have residents on their list for housing and she cannot just go ahead of everyone.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer