Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our electricity has been switched off by edf as they say we…

Customer Question
Our electricity has been...

Our electricity has been switched off by edf as they say we do not have a contract with them. The property in question is a ski chalet with clients. We are in the middle of a major snow storm with freezing temperatures. They refuse to turn it on until jan 12th

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Savoie

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No we have been on the phone to them all day yesterday and this morning trying to get someone to come and switch the power back on the man who turned it off refused to speak to us yesterday so they new the property was occupied

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Edf deem this not to be an urgent situation!!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Legally, you would need to get in contact with a power company supervisor and work your way up to higher supervisors to get one who has some compassion. Unfortunately, it is Saturday on a holiday weekend, courts are not open nor is the Public Utilities Commission who controls the electric company. So today or the rest of the weekend, if you cannot convince a supervisor to help you, I am afraid you can do nothing until Tuesday when you would need to file suit in court against them for improperly turning off the power and refusing to reconnect you in a reasonable manner and seek monetary damages if they caused you any monetary damages by their refusal.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.