Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We own a piece of property that sits back about an acre and…

Customer Question
We own a piece...

We own a piece of property that sits back about an acre and a half off of the main road. We bought the property an have an access road from the main road. The property in front of us is for sale (our access road goes through it) If it is sold, can they block the access road, as it goes through the property that is for sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Blue Ridge, Georgia

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please, go ahead

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is no, they cannot bar you access to your home. This is considered an easement by necessity; meaning that you will have an easement to access your property. If they try to block you from your property, you can go to court to enforce the easement, citing the fact that you have no reasonable way to access your property. What other questions did you have for me today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer