Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Recent passing of my mother in law (Dec 20. 2017) We found a…

Customer Question
Recent passing of my mother...
Recent passing of my mother in law (Dec 20. 2017)
We found a will dated 1978 - with the basic assets going to the heirs
Question: the 1st executor of the estate mentioned in the will is decased with the next
executor a bank , which has changed ownership. It also has a statement at the end
"any duly appointed and qualified representatives of my estate shall, in such capacity, have the same
powers as are herein conferred upon my executor.There has since been a verbal appointment for executor - her son
The will is signed but not notorized.Any guidance would be helpful.the will is signed but not notorized
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

please review

Thank you for your patience. So, this seems as if it is a valid will. It doesn't need to be notarized, but it does usually have to be witnessed by at least two people in most states. If it meets those requirements, then the terms of the will have to be followed. If the bank is supposed to be listed as an executor, then the bank should be the executor, even if it has changed ownership. The son will not be able to be appointed executor unless the bank withdraws from the executorship and appoints the son officially. What other questions did you have for me about this?

no more questions right now - how much time do i have to finish this conversation? as id like to call the bank

Cool. You can come back any time. In the meantime, would you mind rating your opinion of my service today? Five stars is always appreciated as you know:-).

Hello! I just wanted to follow up to see if you had any questions. Let me know, thanks!