Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and i are currently renting a mobile home. we…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** my husband and i are currently renting a mobile home. we signed a lease with our landlord a year ago and just recently her son came over and told us that he was the owner and to stop paying her rent and to pay him or we had to vacate and when we talked to her to see what was going on she said not to pay him a penny or that she would kick us out

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

So we are in a bit of a situation and don't know what to do. There has been lots of things our landlord has refused to fix and now this and so i was seeing if i typed a certified letter to them saying we don't want to continue with our lease with whats going on with them going to court txas TX

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Well we signed a 2 Yr lease and she was suppose to do alot of repairs and fix ups but has yet to even attempt to do so...... and yes a lot of issues she even refuses to fix our heat

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes that we want to terminate our lease and find somewhere else to go. and i want to know what our legal rights as a tennat with this situation with her and her son going to court for the ownership of the home and with all the repair issues we have had. Also that i have a 6month old and a 2yr old and a 10 yr old

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Just to be clear, you are in year two of the lease? Have you asked the mother or her son for title, to show who owns the home? If they are both claiming they own it and are entitled to the rent, has either provided proof to you?