Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We signed a two year lease.two years were up this sept

Customer Question
We signed a two...

We signed a two year lease.two years were up this sept 2017:lease said 60 day notice if no notice given then term is extended an additional year.we had built a house assuming our lease ended after two years.are we legally bound to this extended lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Oakland maine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

II'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The clause in the lease requiring 60 days notice if you didn't intend to renew is unfortunately binding. That means the lease renewed automatically in September through September 2018. If you move out early, the landlord could sue you for unpaid rent until a new tenant is found. They are required to make reasonable efforts to find someone.

One option for people in your situation is to advertise the property yourself and find a new tenant. This is true even if the lease prohibits subletting. Producing a willing, qualified tenant to take over the lease gives the landlord a way to avoid losing money when you move out. They're obligated to mitigate their damages, so rejecting a subtenant you found would mean they couldn't get unpaid rent from you after you leave.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer