Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I recently purchased a double wide home ,but right after the…

Customer Question
I recently purchased a...

I recently purchased a double wide home ,but right after the customer service went out the door,I have multiple repairs need due to poor workmenship doors walls ceilings, thingsunder the new carpet like left screws,can't get anyone to calll back or to do what repairs they said they would take care of,,like I said no call back nothing but crickets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that before thanksgiving the manufacturer was telling us they would sent a crew to make all repairs then nothing

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I would appreciate any help

This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability if they are not fixing the doors, ceilings, or other things like the carpet. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement. In this case, you may be able to exercise one of those options; most people exercise the cancellation or withholding the rent.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m buying, it’s brand new ,just moved in mid September

I certainly understand. Did you get a chance to see my answer to your question?

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer