Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son is sharing rent at an apartment in County Kansas with…

Customer Question
My son is sharing...

My son is sharing rent at an apartment in Johnson County Kansas with another person. The lease is up in April, but my son was told he only needed a 60 day notice to vacate and has found an apartment for himself. He has now been told his 60 day notice is not valid unless the roommate vacates also. My son wished to vacate at end of Feb. and now feels trapped

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Overland Park, Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Paperwork for the 60day notice dating as of Jan 1 and then the lease agreement that is up in April

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Roommate states he intends to find another roommate and not vacate, but my son is afraid the lease agreement is revolving

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Well here he has two options.Finish up the lease or leave and hope room mate finds another tenant to co lease.The terms of the lease control whether he continues to have liability.Likely with a new tenant he is off the hook.He may want to check his lease to see exactly what the terms of early leaving are.Since the other room mate is staying he is going to have to find another tenant or they will evict him.So pretty good chance he does so and that would get son off the hook.This may be the best he can do.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thanks, ***** ***** he be liable for half the rent until lease is up?

Yes unless there is an out in the lease that allows him early termination with 60 day notice.Check the lease there may well be.Son also has right to stay and finish it out.