Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In my divorce I gave my ex the home. He could not get

Customer Question
In my divorce I...

In my divorce I gave my ex the home. He could not get refinancing my attorney suggested I take the home because the ex was threatening bankruptcy. I took the home and got it refinanced in my name and he won't leave the property. The Sheriff and NYS Police are telling me I have to file for eviction. I don't understand why. I'm the homeowner, not a landlord or renter why can't I show them the court document to have him removed? This is Broome County NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No this jus

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NY lawyer about this?

Paperwork for eviction,no. The house is all done and mine. I have discussed with a NY Lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think i'm all set

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You do have to evict him.You would have to file forcible entry and detainer here and get eviction order and law enforcement will serve it and evict him.Its the only way to get sheriff to kick him out here.

Post notice to quit on front door and end him another one certified mail and then file for forcible entry and detainer.

https://eforms.com/eviction/ny/new-york-3-day-notice-to-quit-form-non-payment/

I appreciate the chance to help you , sorry you are having to deal with this.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer