Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and I did a land contract on a property that we…

Customer Question
My husband and I did...
My husband and I did a land contract on a property that we presently have a mortgage. This was during the down turn as we moved in order secure better employment. I have a couple of questions and concerns; 1) There is a clause under Maintenance of premises that basically states that premises are to stay in good condition as they are now reasonable wear and tear. The house is being run down and maintenance is not being maintained. Ie; roof has missing shingles, siding is coming off and the inside floors have be severely damaged by dogs etc. Essentially they have done NO maint. Is that a default and a breach of contract. We are concerned that they are running it down and it will be worth nothing if this continues. The second questions is , if we die which will eventually be the case and they still owe on contract and we will owe bank how do they get to keep the premises. There is a clause that states if we are deceased prior to the land contract balance is paid in full, the contract balance is to be paid to their estate and things remain in effect. Isn't the bank going to want them to get the the loan in their name or what happens. There is another clause 'Time of essence that states that the agreements therein contained shall apply to and bind the heirs,executors,administrators, successors and assigns of the parties. Please advise
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
I would need to see your contract if you can attach it. If the situation is as you stated above they have breached the agreement and they are in default. I would need to see the contract to tell what occurs once they breach the agreement.

Are you able to attach the contract? The issue for the purchaser is that they have breached the contract which would be grounds for you to terminate the contract. This would not impact your heirs, successors and or assigns etc., if you move to terminate the contract.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

I AM WORKING ON TRYING TO SCAN THE DOCUMENT.

No worries. Take your time. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Customer Service can also assist you at US / Canada 1-***-***-****