Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm having problem in my apartment unit. I made multi

Customer Question
I'm having problem in...

I'm having problem in my apartment unit

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I made multi complaint to the management

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Los Angeles name is*****: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm having odor problem in one of my closet since 26 of November. First maintenance came and said it is Marijuana smell. I made complaint to office and they said they checked all the units around mine and nobody smokes and found nothing. They said changed all the AC filter and saying it could be some of my stuff inside my closet. I cleared out everything from closet and leave empty for over a week and still smell is there. Complain again and manager told me she found wreath and pine around my unit and that is the cause of smell which I hardly believe since smell is only from inside of my closet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You need to send your landlord a written demand telling them that the odor is not caused by the excuses they choose to keep making about your closet. Tell them you expect them to send an experienced remediation expert in to check the closet for animal remains or mold and properly clear it out and if they refuse to do so then they will be in breach of your lease and you will hire someone and deduct the costs of cleaning the closet properly from the rent. Tell them you are placing them on notice of their breach with this letter and their failure to comply in 5 business days will result in you hiring someone at the expense of the apartment complex to do what they refuse to do.

Then if they continue to refuse, you would need to get someone out there pay them and have them take pictures and write a report on the cause when done and once they fix it you would deduct what you pay from rent and send the bill to the manager with the amount of the bill deducted from your rent payment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I'm staying out of my unit due to the smell. Can rent be deducted for that period?

Thank you for your reply.

If the smell is so severe it has made the whole apartment not habitable you could seek reimbursement for rent during that time until the smell is cured as well.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer