Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A "per Agent" response to an offer, be it an acceptance,

Customer Question
A "per Agent" response...

A "per Agent" response to an offer, be it an acceptance, rejection , counter-offer or change in a contract MUST be backed up by the Seller. Buyer , or whomever is represented by the agent .. correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just between Buyer/ Buyers Agent and the Seller Agent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The seller agent claims seller is out of state however is seen locally all day, Belief is seller agent is NOT communicating with seller and actions speak as such.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience on this. So, generally, an agent is someone who has the authority to take certain actions that bind the principal to a particular course of action (e.g. acceptance, rejection, etc.) . This means that the seller doesn't necessarily need to "back up" what the agent is doing in regards ***** ***** contract. It just means that the seller is going to be bound to whatever the agent does as the agent is under the direction of the principal. I sense there may be more to this story so before we continue, could you provide me some background so I can better assist.

What background will you need?

I think I'm wondering a bit about your concern with the seller being around town. is the agent making representations that you don't believe the seller would want?

The seller needs to sell the property as he has squandered monies from the trust, also he is going to lose it to back taxes if he does not sell.. The property is overlisted.. and will NOT sell for what the agent is asking. Agent either will NOT act on an offer.. either accept, reject nor counter and chooses to make no response at all . In conversations with people he associates with he's worried that he is NOT getting any action from his listing.

I see what you mean. So, are you a beneficiary of the trust at all?

No .... I am an agent, with 21 years of experience, who has submitted 3 offers to this agent , who has been in the business for 19 months .

I see what you mean. Thank you for clarifying. If that is the case, then my original answer stands; the agent can bind the seller, but unfortunately, if they are not responding to you, even if there is a serious risk of harm, there is not much you can do. You may want to consider contacting the seller and asking them about what's going on because it's possible they may be unaware too. You may be able to help the seller avoid the harms that seem to be plaguing them right now. You may want to say that you're not reaching out to them about making a decision, but to advise them that your buyer is waiting for his or her agent to make a move. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry for the considerable delay. It's very difficult to explain, but what happens sometimes is if I accidentally close out my window, it deletes all of the current chats I have. If someone has responded like you did, then I usually have no idea until I go through the list of the hundreds of chats I have per day and find anyone who got missed. This is what happened here. I sincerely ***** ***** making you wait four days for a response. It's inexcusable and I"m sorry. I'd like to continue the conversation if you would like.

in your case, I want to find out what questions you had about this. I understand that the agent isn't being responsive; however, I can't find any legal authority that requires them to respond to an offer to enter into an agreement. What questions did you have with which I may help?