Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have to go to court on Jan 3, 2018. Our contract was for…

Customer Question
We have to go...

We have to go to court on Jan 3, 2018. Our contract was for $1,500.00 a month with $500 being taken care of by my working the front desk for that amount each month. They upped our rent to $2,000.00 a month with out our knowledge or agreement. They took my job away 3 times with no explanation and now they say we owe them $10,000. We have the original contract and the complex we live in has changed owners since we first moved here. Can you help us?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Bryan Texas - Waldenbrook Est.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

With our contract we were to get 3 meals a day and an alarm system that we could push to let them know if we were in distress. They said we can't eat here anymore so we got emergency food stamps in September and they shut off the emergency system. My husband is a Vet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

The experts on this website don't actually represent anyone that comes to them through this website. We can answer most questions and provide most information but it's against the rules for us to actually take on someone as a customer through JustAnswer.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Can you help us? Do we have a case?

Based solely on what you have posted, then it does sound like you have a case for them breaching the contract. That can be used as a defense against their case as well as a cause of action if you want to countersue them.

As I said above, all the experts here on the website can do is answer questions ad provide information, we can't actually represent you.

I can give you a website that allows you to locate attorneys either for hire or attorney who provide legal aid, if your income and asset level meets their requirements. Would that be sufficient?

You can also ask follow up questions if you would like. There is no extra charge for follow up questions.

Can you give us both attorney info. for Legal Aid and for hire. We are scheduled to be in court on Jan. 3, 2018.
We have no place to go. We are from Virginia. Can they really change the rent amount and make null a signed binding contract without our agreeing. Please send the info.

Sure. I may also be able to point you to a form that you can file to buy some more time if you can't find an attorney by then.

To find a "paid attorney" go to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those would have the skills you need to assist.

For Legal Aid in your area go to these three web page and they will have a number of places listed.

http://www.lonestarlegal.org/

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/texas/bryan/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/texas/brazos-county/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

They are not supposed to change your contract in mid-stream without your permission.

If you can't find an attorney by the date you need to be in court then you can file a Motion for Continuance. There is a website with free forms, explanations for the forms, etc. at

https://texaslawhelp.org/search/site/continuance

Be sure and have the affidavit it will mention signed in front of a notary public (any of them) and file ASAP and send a copy to the lawyers suing you by certified mail, return receipt requested. You have to have a hearing on the motion, just filing it doesn't do anything alone but most judges will grant it for you if they know you are looking for a lawyer.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. A bonus or "tip" is, of course, appreciated but neither required nor expected. Regardless, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

I will be signing off in just a little while but will be back on tomorrow.