Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm a tenant on a 12 mo. lease with 2 repair issues that the…

Customer Question
I'm a tenant on...

I'm a tenant on a 12 mo. lease with 2 repair issues that the property manager has threatened to bill us in one issue and has actually billed me in another separate issue. I'd like to talk with an attorney, local to Citrus Heights, Ca. about this issues and the legality involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

None so far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Customer:***** Citrus Heights, Ca. 95621

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My wife and I are 74 years old, have leased this home since 7.17.13 to now and this is the first time we've been charged for repairs. However this year they raised the rent from $1,395.00 to $1,525.00 which is much more of an increase of the $50.00 month increase each year for the past 3 years.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll take the answer in writing at this time please.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Ok, after reviewing your situation, i wasn't able to determine for sure what specific questions you had. What specific questions did you have for me regarding this today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First Issue: I went to work and wife called me about the electricity going off in the kitchen area while she prepared her breakfast. I was some 50 miles away and could not get home. I told her to cal the emergency phone for the property manager (it was a saturday). Wife informed me the normal customer service person called her and threatened to have her pay the bill if it was her fault. Subsequently an electrician contacted by our family member came out and could not determine why the circuit popped but said the electric circuit box was very old and that was most likely the problem.
2nd Issue: wife used the garbage disposal and it apparently clogged up. I tried plunging it, poured bleach drain and let it sit over night but it was still not draining properly. Contact property manager, a plumber came out (my wife was home alone as I was at work) and cleared the clog. He said the clothes washer and the garbage disposal empty into the same location and he found the clog with a variety of material(apparently vegetation) and a single sock and and a very small toothpick utensil. After he left, we received a bill for $186.00 for the plumber's service from the property manager. These two issues are the first time we've ever been charge or threatened to be charged in some 4 year.

Thanks for clarifying.

So, as far as the first issue, generally a landlord in CA is required to keep the place in reasonable repair and keep it habitable, which could include ensuring that there is adequate electricity. If you did something to cause the electricity to go off, then they could charge; however, they are otherwise required to cover the cost of the damages. In this case, if the circuit box was very old, then that is not something that you did that caused the damage and thus you should not be charged for it.

As far as the 2nd issue, the main sub issue is going to be whether your wife caused the garbage disposal to clog up. The landlord has the option to pay for the damages themselves or charge you for them, and it seems like they decided the latter. Regardless, you can't ordinarily be evicted for something like that and it's probable a court would require you top ay if there was a sock and a small utensil.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your name, address, phone, etc. please in case of need to follow up.

Hi, so the website allows me to give you information, but it costs $5 additional for us to share information. I've sent you an offer.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer