Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My house in Florida that I'm renting the water is still on…

Customer Question
My house in Florida...

My house in Florida that I'm renting the water is still on my name can I legally have it turned off because he running the bill up and in the lease it said he pays all utilities

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet I sent him a resterder letter that the month to month lease is up and he needs to be out by Jan 13. His reply was evcie me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He said if I come on the property he will call the cops on me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

No, not if you left the water on in your name. That would be considered a constructive eviction, which is illegal. You should have turned the water off as soon as the tenancy started if you didn't want to be on the hook to keep it on. You should always schedule the utilities to be turned off a day or so after the tenancy begins to avoid this problem.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much