Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in HOA, San Luis Obispo County in CA. I have a 2017…

Customer Question
I live in HOA...

I live in HOA, San Luis Obispo County in CA. I have a 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 van, I use. My handicap plates or placard are coming. I’ve told them, but they are trying to fine me. Can they make me move my vehicle.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

CA, brand new 2017, it has look of RV but it’s all black, and kept spotless. Fits in my driveway with no issues

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

On my end?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m younger than most everyone here, and it’s an affluent neighborhood, so they try to pick on me constantly

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

Kindly clarify.

Thank you for your cooperation.

My HOA is hassling me over my van, 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 3500. It’s all black, looks like a Class B RV, but I keep it clean. It fits in my driveway, does not encroach on the sidewalk. I’m waiting on my handicap plates or placard, and HOA knows it. They say it’s an RV, it is not. It allows me to get around, and room to get in and out easily. I’m epileptic from a high grade TBI, and if I have one, I usually soil myself, so my van has a restroom for me to clean up. My wife and I live very peaceful lives, but they try to fine me. The stress brings on my seizures. I just need to have my van close for a “normal” life. Can they make me move my van? For me, it’s like having a service animal. I need some clarity on the issue...
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Can they make me move my van?

Response 1: No, they cannot especially since you are waiting your your handicap Placard. You must be given reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Act, and California Disabled Persons Act.

For me, it’s like having a service animal. I need some clarity on the issue...

Response 2: It is. However, you should formally request for reasonable accommodation under Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Act, and California Disabled Persons Act.. This is a simple request to leave the van where it is because of your disability. Also, mention that your handicap Placard would be received very soon. If your request is denied, you need to file complaint with California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law