Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If Iam a tenant, a father with a son 6yrs old and my wife is…

Customer Question
If Iam a tenant...

If Iam a tenant, a father with a son 6yrs old and my wife is expecting a baby in a few months, We are having trouble with our landlord

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

TEXAS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

NO JUST THREATS

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Alot

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. What is the landlord doing? What is the issue here at this time? Do you have a lease or rent month to month?

We have an verbal agreement as to me fixing the moblehome we live in in lue of rent , now he wants me to give him 1100.00 dollars so he can pay his taxes or if not we have to move immediately, here at Christmas
sorry havent got any money

Thank you for the reply. Without a lease, you would be considered a month to month tenant. If the agreement was that you fix the home and can remain, in lieu of rent, that is what would control. He can not turn around now and demand this money or just kick you out. If he wanted you to leave, he would have to evict you. You could defend this and argue that you can remain based upon the agreement and the length of the tenancy.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!