Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My new neighbor bulldozed his brush and timber off his

Customer Question
My new neighbor bulldozed...

My new neighbor bulldozed his brush and timber off his property onto mine. We are talking about 100's of big trees in a 1/2 mile of property line.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in MO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No... he just came out here and pushed his trash on to my property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am trying to sell my property and have it listed with an real estate agent. The best offer I have is over $20,000 less than the appraised price. The difference is the bulldozer damage to my property.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/23/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

are you really a lawyer and not a scam site? I have a real tort here, so convince me you are real!

Your neighbor has committed a civil trespass and you can sue them for your damages. Since the debris can be cleaned up, the damages are the cost of the clean up, rather than a diminution in value. Though, you can request both in the alternative.

While you can pursue this pro se, it is strongly recommended you retain a commercial litigation attorney to represent you. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Yes, I am a licensed attorney and have been in practice almost 35 yrs.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

No. the damage cannot be "cleaned up." Many of the bulldozed trees were on my property. How do you repair, replace, or "clean up," a 100 year old oak tree?

Sorry. I was under the impression from your description that this was debris pushed onto your property from another.

If clean up is not possible then go with diminution in value. Either one, or a combination of both, will work as a potential measure of damages.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!