Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Are stop signs on private property (Association)

Customer Question
Are stop signs on...

Are stop signs on private property (Association) enforceable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Rutland County, Vermont.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, this is just a question for the Association Board's information.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

That depends on the situation. Even if the road is private, a police officer can enforce driving laws if the private road is are accessible and frequented by the public at large. However:

-a sign is not enforceable by a private party;

-a sign is not enforceable by a police officer if the sign itself was placed there by a private citizen; and

-the final decision is that of the Court, of course.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.