Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I are senior citizens, Ages 78 and 86. On Oct…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are senior citizens, Ages 78 and 86. On Oct 27, 2017 we signed an agreement to contract under (somewhat) management coercing. The management indicated that we had to sign the contract on this date or we would not get the so called reduced rates advertised. We had some truly serious personal difficulties and cancelled the agreement before we physically moved in. We have been notified that for the three months the rental is for even if we haven't moved in which we haven't, we are liable for all of the lease payments including a five hundred dollar upkeep agreement for the 3 month period amounting to a $3,958. initial payment and two other monthly payments of $2989. These figures are pretty exact although I will have to go and find the exact figures. At any rate it is in the area of $10,000. for a Senior handicapped retired serviceman, and a senior retired cook spouse both on fixed income. My question is how and should we request the agency direction for arbitration since we did not physically move in and the circumstances of hardship and possibly coercion since we never had a chance to review other than in the present instant by the manager. Please advise Lore and David Whire

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lincoln Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I sent three letters with all information and a request for indemnification to what I thought was the management, however I've never received any reply. We've paid the initial $3988. and another $ 2998. to avoid any additional penalties.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are additional comments I might want to go over if this isn't enough to get advise whether to proceed or nt. It would be extremely lengthy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the lease provide you can demand arbitration?