Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Mineral rights was returned to property owners in County.

Customer Question
Mineral rights was returned...

Mineral rights was returned to property owners in Smith County. How can I add it to my deed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No!

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Flint Texas in Smith County.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Original land purchase was in March 1980.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Who owns the mineral rights and this time?

During the start of the Millennium, I noted an article stating the State of Texas was returning mineral rights to all Property Owners. Smith County confirmed this action. My property does not show up on any existing contract. I was verbally told that mineral rights was sold with this property. There is no deed or title but Smith County confirms my ownership and all taxes and fees have always been maintained since 1980. Original purchase was for $8200 for 3 small lots facing Derringer Dr. Lots were 45' X 65' in the project. I am the original buyer.

You must have a deed that states that you own the mineral rights. What does you curremt deed state? Can you attach the deed?

I should have forced this issue back in 1980's. Teal Corporation made a mess for a lot of buyers. Class Action suits were left unanswered. Thank you for your attempt.

Does Teal still hold the mineral rights?

You can try a quiet title action to regain the mineral rights.

"Quiet Title of Mineral Interests. ... Without a quiet title action, the ownership of mineral rights may be contested. A quiet title can prevent a landowner from leasing their mineral rights, from receiving royalties, or from obtaining any sort of financial compensation from oil and gas development on their own property." http://www.oilandgasdisputes.com/Oil-Gas/Mineral-Rights/Quiet-Title-of-Mineral-Interests.aspx

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

Are you online with me?

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney