Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rent and my attic insulation is not up to texas code, I…

Customer Question
I rent and my...

I rent and my attic insulation is not up to texas code, I don't not use the attic I need to no who is responsible for this issue the attis is not mentioned in my lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas dallas county and I have a housing voucher

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No ma'am

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you asking if you can force the landlord to insulate the attic better?

.

.

thanks

the attic is the same as it was when I moved in and im being told that I didn't maintain it... I don't use it for anything I want to can I be held accountable for the attic that I don't use

If there is nothing in the lease that says you have to maintain the attic, then you have no legal duty to do so. It is the landlord's duty to maintain his property, not the tenant's. You as a tenant just have a duty to not cause any damage, but not to make any improvements, repairs or upgrades....that is what a landlord does..

.

But as for insulation, a tenant takes the property as it is, subject to any local code requirements.. So if it is in violation of Code, you could call the local Code Enforcement office and ask them to conduct an inspection. If there are violations, they can cite the owner and force him to make repairs to meet code..

.

.

thanks

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much