Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in an HOA of 29 townhouses in Arlington,. Can two…

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an HOA of 29 townhouses in Arlington, Virginia. Can two separate homeowners occupy a Board or officer position jointly? In the case at hand, two homeowners have offered to share the Treasurer job. I can find nothing that addresses this in the Virginia Property Owners Association Act or in our association's covenant or by-laws. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. We normally don't have any formal paperwork preceding board elections; nominations are made from the floor at the annual meeting. Our upcoming annual meeting is scheduled for January 22.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Although technically it would be permissible to have co-treasurers, you would want to make sure that the duties are outlined for each treasurer to know what is their responsibility. Also, there should be a procedure in place to determine what happens if the co-treasurers do not agree. Who would have the final decision?

It could be a good idea to put all this in writing, either in the bylaws or possibly a board resolution.

We can continue to discuss this. If you have further questions, just let me know.

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney