Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a similar situation. My client is about to sign a…

Customer Question
I have a similar...

I have a similar situation. My client is about to sign a Deed in Lieu and then I read this right now her DIL reads as :The parties hereto agree that this Deed is delivered in lieu of foreclosure, and that the
consideration for this Deed is the release of Grantor’s personal obligation to repay the balance due
under the note secured by that Deed of Trust in the amount of $158,255.89 which sum, together with
accrued interest and all other allowable charges, continues to be secured by a Deed of Trust on the
Property.

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not sure but need help asap

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
https://www.justanswer.com/tax/4lzp5-hi-question-respect-deed-lieu-foreclosure.html I tried to add this link, I am asking if my clients wording in the DIL will have the same results as the client in this answer.
They are closing in 15 minutes. I need to know if I should have the DIL reworded somehow to reduce tax liability. If I undersatnd correctly if it is a sale and no 1099a or 1099c is sent out then the liability is reduced considerably.
12/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

The bank can still issue a 1099 after accepting a DIL. the DIL should also state that it is the "full satisfaction and release" of Grantor's personal obligation to repay.....

Hope that helps.