Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a condo owner and I have asked the Board of Directors…

Customer Question
I am a condo...

I am a condo owner and I have asked the Board of Directors to be able to review some documentation such as contracts of vendors we use for different services. These are contracts that are paid for by my HOA fees which I pay monthly. Can they withhold these documents from me viewing them.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have sent emails to the board about four times and also to the property management company assigned to our association. All with either no response or I have been told these are confidential documents and not available to me. Should I send a certified letter to the board?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

In Atlanta Ga in Buckhead

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

OC GA 14-3-1602 states that all members of a condo association have a right to inspect ALL records of an association upon reasonable request and time and place for such inspection. Contracts are part of ALL records of the association. If they refuse to allow your inspection pursuant to your written demand including a copy of the statute found at https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-14/chapter-3/article-16/part-1/section-14-3-1602/ then you have a right to file a petition for declaratory judgment which is a suit in court asking for the court to order production as well as pay you damages for their refusal to follow state law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

The answer he provided was very helpful and in a reasonable time. However, I would never use this service again. It said I would be billed $5.00 up front and then $10.00 after my question was answered. I was billed $31.00. Very bad rating for Facebook, Instagram etc.

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize, but the experts are not site employees and we really have no control over how the site does those things. As a matter of fact, you have not paid your expert anything because you did not click on the positive feedback at the top of your page and as you have not left your expert positive feedback the expert received nothing and the site just has your money in your account.

I am sorry for any misunderstandings on how the site advertises, the experts wish we had input or control over that but we do not.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer