Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I’m wondering how you can tell if a mortgage and the

Hi. I’m wondering how...

Hi. I’m wondering how you can tell if a mortgage and the documents at the assessors office are legit?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.

I’m in Nevada and I look up a lot of different addresses and I seem to see a lot of things that I see out of place that why I’m asking. How can I tell from just reviewing a document?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

I would just like to know the basics. As far as I know a escrow agent isn’t allowed to notarize a document that they’re signing as seller as two signatures in a foreclosed property?

12/19/2017
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you today. If your question is asking about the legality of the document, I am happy to help. Generally, a party to a document (like a seller) cannot sign as a witness or a notary on a document. However, a notary (who is not a party to the transaction) can sign as the notary and a witness.

Hope that helps. any other questions, please reply. Otherwise, a positive rating would be appreciated.

No the lady signed as the seller of the property and notarized the document as well.
what about the MERS system my mortgage was motorized in Denton Texas by La SAlle bank I’ve never even seen my note for my property and the address used to send documents is to my moms house which the address is wrong on the recorders office. And when u refi do u have to rehomestead ur property. And how do I put my home into a trust and parents home into a trust.
You are correct -Interested party cannot notarized. You can request a copy of the promissory note from LaSalle bank. You can also ask them to correct the address for notice/mail. When you refinance- you do not have to re-homestead the property. Once you have homestead- it continues on the property until you move (or leave property for extended period of time). To put your homes into a trust, you will need to consult with a trusts and estates lawyer to set up the trusts. The the property can be transferred into the trust. Hope that helps. If so - a 5-star rating would be appreciated .
Lori
Lori, Lawyer