Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased property adjoining my 20 year cohabitating

Customer Question
I purchased property adjoining...

I purchased property adjoining my 20 year cohabitating relationship, actually 40 years I divorced this cohabitant in 93 we got back together in 97, lived together ever since while both working, he told me I have to move out, he’s become verbally, mentally abusive. After adjoining my property to his it became 1 address. Property I adjoined it to is in his name only, am I entitled to it as well?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes with county land bank I purchased property through

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

I would say yes.You are likely looking a t a suit for partition, the court can divide it fairly or order it all sold.All legal fees, costs of sale, etc and deducted from the gross sales and price and then the net is divided 50-50%.

A partition in Michigan real estate law provides that any party that co-owns a piece of property with one or more other party has a right to divide, or partition, the property when they no longer wish to own it. A partition can either be voluntary or court-ordered, depending on whether or not the parties get along well enough to negotiate their own partition with the aid of their attorneys. An example of a Michigan partition action can occur when two people inherit a piece of land and they do not wish to own it jointly. It can also occur when a couple purchases a home together and then their relationship deteriorates so that one party moves out.

In Michigan, land can either be divided physically, or it can be sold at auction and the proceeds can be divided. In most cases, it would not be possible or practical to divide a residential home or business in half and give each party half of a building. Therefore, most partitions are subject to sale. The division of land or of proceeds depends on the nature of the tenancy that the parties had when they owned the property. If they were joint tenants, then the property will be divided in equal shares. If they were tenants in common, then the property can be divided according to their contributions to its acquisition.

You can find a real estate litigation lawyer here to sue for partition.

Lawyer Referral Service online or call 1-***-***-**** Monday through Friday 9am-5pm for a referral to a lawyer in your area

I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this.You have rights here under the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. I know now where to start. If I move out would it be considered abandonment?

No it would not be, you just are separating here thats all.

I wish you the best thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.