Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

When can I legally evict a tenant?

Customer Question
When can I legally evict a tenant?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Is there a lease? What is the basis for which the tenant is to be removed?

I already did a rather lengthy one in fact you guys are wearing this old lady out

It appears there are two other open questions and experts have responded so I will opt out and you can return to those pages for the answer.

Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I am the same person in working in your other question:

A tenant can be legally evicted in Arizona under the following circumstances:

"In Arizona, a landlord can evict a tenant for a number of reasons, including not paying rent, violating the lease or rental unit, or committing a crime. The landlord must follow specific rules and procedures when evicting the tenant, and the first step in the eviction (also called a special detainer action) is terminating the lease or rental agreement. Before terminating the lease or rental agreement, the landlord typically must give the tenant notice. The type of notice required will depend on the reason for the eviction." https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-eviction-process-arizona-rules-landlords-property-managers.html

Here are the reasons for eviction with more specifics:

"Violation of Lease or Rental Agreement

Violations of the lease or rental agreement include lying on the rental application, having unauthorized pets or guests, providing an incorrect Social Security number or incorrect employment information. The landlord must give the tenant a written notice that specifies the violation and gives the tenant ten days to fix the violation or the lease will be terminated and eviction proceedings will begin (see ARS § 33-1368(A)).

Failure to Maintain Rental Premises

A tenant can also be evicted for failing to maintain the premises of the rental unit in a manner that affects the health and safety of the tenant or others living on the premises. Some examples include not disposing of garbage, willfully destroying parts of the property, or violating applicable building codes (see ARS § 33-1341). If a tenant is being evicted for failing to maintain the rental unit premises, then the landlord must give the tenant a written five-day notice that specifies that the tenant has five days to either fix the problem, if possible, or the rental agreement will be terminated and eviction proceedings will begin (see ARS §33-1368(A)).

Nonpayment of Rent

If the tenant is being evicted for not paying rent, the landlord must give the tenant a written five-day notice. The five-day notice must specify that the tenant has five days to either pay the rent or eviction proceedings will begin (see ARS § 33-1368(B))." https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenant-defenses-evictions-arizona.html

The tenant engages in a Criminal Act.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Let me also provide a link for Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in Tucson.

Do you have any additional questions for me? Was there a problem with my answer?