Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been a tenant at Treymore in McKinney for 10 years.

Customer Question
I have been a...

I have been a tenant at Treymore in McKinney for 10 years. During that time Lincoln Property owned the apartments. In April of this year, Carlton-McKinney or McKinney-Carlton took over property management (bought from Lincoln). Every year I renewed my lease, Lincoln would only clean my carpets. The carpets have never been replaced in my apartment. They were not new when I moved in in 2007. My apartment has also not been painted in 10 years. Do I have any recourse against Lincoln for negligence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Property is in Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

As far as legal documents with courts, no ma'am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Actually yes. The current property management company is planning on evicting me after the first of the year. I allowed my love of animals to get out of control. I fostered a male chihuahua that damaged some baseboards. I am willing to replace those baseboards. Also, the property manager entered my apartment on June 20 of this year without giving me 24-48 hours notice.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based on what you shared, it does not appear that they are negligent. A landlord is responsible for making necessary repairs and fixing damage but as far as updating the rental, it is not necessarily something they are forced to do. If you want them to do this, you can request it and address it and if they refuse, vacate when the rental term ends.

Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!