Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have applied for an emotional support dog. At first there…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have applied...
Second opinion] I have applied for an emotional support dog. At first there was no issue. The head of the board for my building told me no problem. Then when the rescue group wanted an email confirming their approval she said I would have to wait a month so the fee they will charge had to be established I notice the master board had an emergency meeting to discuss this issue. It has been over A week and I have not heard from them should I get a lawyer now or wait for them. To contact mzeJA: Where is the property located?Customer: Gulfport Florida. It is a retirement community. Some buildings allow dogs my building is a no animal building. I has submitted my letter from my psychiatrist detailing my mental health diagnosisJA: Has any paperwork been filed?Customer: The only paper work they wanted was a copy of the letter from my doctor and I submitted thatJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: Yes, I own my unit and the money they say they want would cover damage to the outside of the building. Other people have asked for an emotional support dog and were deterred by the threats and hassles they were subjected to
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you have a prescription from your doctor that says the animal is medically necessary, then they can't deny you having the ESA under the Fair Housing Act and other federal laws. Further, since an ESA is not a pet, it is considered to be an assistive aid, like a wheelchair, so they can't charge you anything more for having it on your rent or for a deposit.

.

So what they are doing is illegal and is being done to intentionally interfere with your rights. I would suggest having a local attorney send them a letter stating that if consent is withheld for your valid request, you will be filing a federal discrimination lawsuit within 10 days and seeking damages based on their unlawful behavior..

.

That should get them to scurrying around pretty quickly to get you an approval letter.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer