Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My property is next to an apartment complex. His fence was…

Customer Question
My property is next to...
My property is next to an apartment complex. His fence was tipping over onto my property line. I asked him to fix it and offered to pay half. He gave me a quote of 1500 now he said it costs 1800. Is this right? The contractor pulled the fence down and didn’t come back for two months! I feel this is bad business but he said he was 100% responsible for the contractor and it is still costing more money.
What are my rights?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did you agree to pay half the $1500?

.

And did the neighbor accept?

.

Or did you say you would pay half of what it costs?

.

It the fence owned solely by the neighbor?

.

.

thanks

This is what I agreed to...
It was cheaper than DB and more done. DB estimated $1600.00 which did not include staining which wouldn't have been much,probably $150.00. This company is $1500.00 including staining, paint, everything. My end is going to be $300.00 more for me, the section in front of where cars park in my driveway. I'll send a copy of the invoice later and soon. Thanks, *****: If you see anything else around your home needing anything ,you might ask these guy about it, they do many things.I did not say or what it would cost. I thought a quote was a quote based on previous experience with contractors.
We brought the property 5 years ago and the existing fence was and is on his side. He never notified me that the price would be higher.
I asked him for a copy of the quote and he said he would send me the invoice but never did.

Ok, then he can only hold you to what you agreed to initially. If he ended up paying more, for his fence being replaced that is on him. Since this is his fence, it is legally his personal property and you didn't even have any obligation to offer to pay in the first place..

.

Since you had no obligation to pay, you can't be held liable for more than you agreed to initially.

.

.

thanks

One more question. Can he ask me for my half of the quote before the job is done? The fence still hasn’t been stained.

He can ask, but I would never agree if I were you... Shady contractors have a tendency to disappear once they are paid so you don't want to run that risk..

.

.

thanks

Thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer